Light Up the Hills
September 22, 2018
7:30 - 9:30 PM
Westhills Community, Langford
Belmont Secondary School (3041 Langford Lake Rd, Victoria, BC V9B 0L9)
Free and open to the public!
The Hills are alive with art, light, and music!
Join us on Saturday, September 22, 2018 from 7:30 - 9:30 PM in the Westhills community in Langford for the third Light Up the Hills festival.
Light Up the Hills is a family-friendly outdoor festival of light presented by the West Shore Arts Council and Westhills. Held after dark, the festival features illuminated artworks that will create a spectacular glowing effect throughout the community. Event participants will walk along a designated path, passing by various performances and artworks, using hand-made lanterns to guide their way. This community-focused event aims to showcase the creativity of local artists, musicians, and performers!
Parking will be available at Belmont Secondary School and at the Westhills YMCA. For those with small children or mobility issues, a trolley service will be circulating from Belmont, to the YMCA, and past Westhills Park.
FEATURED ARTWORKS AND PERFORMERS
- The featured artworks include two returning from last year's festival: Aurora by Limbic Media and Luminous Grove by Joshua Schmidt (Luminous Forest Project).
- Local performers include: Aerial Circus Artists Kaelyn Schmitt and Sarah Scheunhage, Kaleidoscope Theatre for Young People, and the Quicksbottom Morris dancers.
- Much more to be announced soon!
There will be three lantern-making workshops in the lead-up to the festival:
- Sat, Sept. 15 - Victoria Conservatory of Music at Westhills (210 – 1314 Lakepoint Way, Langford, BC, V9B 0L9 - in the new YM/YWCA Complex). Drop-in from 3:00 - 6:00 PM. Registration will open soon.
- Tues, Sept. 18 - Centennial Centre (2805 Carlow Rd, Langford, BC, V9B 4A6). Drop-in from 3:00 - 6:00 PM. Registration will open soon.
- Thurs, Sept. 20 - Coast Collective Art Centre (103-318 Wale Road, Colwood, BC V9B 0J8). This is an intermediate to advanced lantern-making workshop from 4:00 - 7:00 PM that has limited registration. Registration will open soon.
Volunteer participation is essential to the success of this event. There are many roles that need to be filled, including tasks leading up to and during the event, and roles suitable for both individuals and groups.
Please see the Volunteer Package link here or below. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.